Former Chief Judge of the Iowa Court of Appeals
EMPORIA STATE UNIVERSITY EMPORIA, KANSAS B.S. in Social Science
DRAKE UNIVERSITY DES MOINES, IOWA JURIS DOCTORATE 1975
Senior Judge Iowa Court of Appeals October 2013 – June 2016
Judge Iowa Court of Appeals 2001-2013
Chief Judge February 2012 – October 2013
United Nations Mission in Kosovo
March 2005- October 2005
District Court Judge Fifth Judicial District of Iowa.
Adjunct Professor Juvenile Law Drake University Law School.
Member of Law Firm of Handley, Berry & Eisenhauer
Sole Practice of Law.
Faculty member, Des Moines Area Community College, teaching Criminal Law, Evidence, and Constitutional Law primarily to police officers.
Faculty member, Iowa Child Abuse Academy.
Area Manpower Coordinator for the Office of the Governor in Topeka, Kansas.
Army 1968-70, Republic of South Vietnam 1969.
ACCOMPLISHMENTS, AWARDS, AND RECOGNITIONS
- Ankeny School Board of Directors 1981-1985
- Ankeny Rotarian of the Year 1989
- Ankeny Rotary President 1987-1988
- Member Polk County Domestic Abuse Coalition
- Instructor New Judge Orientation annually
- Author of Legal Commentary ABA Manual for Social Workers
- Chair Supreme Court Advisory on Court Appointed Special Advocates
- Chair Supreme Court Advisory Committee on Juvenile Court Offices
- Family Court Study Panel 1990
- Iowa Council for International Understanding, Board member 1993-1997
- Chair Fifth Judicial District Records Management Committee 1996-1998
- Board member Polk County Volunteer Lawyer’s Project 2000-2016
- Member Advisory Committee for Criminal Justice Programs at Grandview College and Des Moines Area Community College
- Member Advisory Board Criminal and Juvenile Justice Planning Agency
- Regular presenter at continuing legal education seminars. In July 1997 I presented at the Iowa Judges Association meeting on Opening Adoption Records and was on an Ethics panel. Iowa Legal History at the Iowa Judicial Institute in August 1999. Legislative update Iowa Judge Association June 2000. Human trafficking Kosovo Judicial Institute May 2005.
- Commentary for the CEELI program on domestic relations law in Rumania
- Attended Hate Crimes Conference Simon Wiesenthal Center September 2000.
- Co-chair Iowa Judges Association Legislative Committee 1995-2008
- Member Board of Councilors Drake University Law School 2000- 2005
- 2006 Elinor Robson Award from the Iowa Council for International Understanding for significant contribution to international understanding
- Iowa Judges Association Award of Merit 2008
- Taught Des Moines Senior College course on War Crimes and War Crimes prosecutions Fall 2010.
- Alumnus of the year Drake University Law School 2014
- Commencement speaker Drake University Law School May 2015
From Nuremberg to Kosovo – Two Iowa Judges Step Outside Their Jurisdiction to Promote International Law 55 Drake Law Review 311 Winter 2007.